Development Area Werftquartier
The development area “Werftquartier” is located in the city district “Geestemünde” and is like no other part of the town characterized by different locations at the water. These water spots are attractive locations for living, working, science and research, leisure, culture and local supply.
With a size of 140 ha, this area is of outstanding importance for the urban development of the city and will henceforth link the city center and Havenwelten with the Schaufenster Fischereihafen. Very interesting development potential is provided by the SSW shipyard, located centrally in the development area, and the areas between Riedemannstraße and Ellhornstraße.
The development in the south of the city center in the area of he Maritime Research Mile around the commercial port is already taking shape through various projects.
New, high-quality housing development has already been realized at the Handelshafen/Hafenkanal. The construction of the new AOK building and the high-quality open-space design in the immediate vicinity have also resulted in further upgrading measures. Another building project (senior-friendly housing) is planned here.
In the area the former administrative buildings of the companies “Nordsee” and the “Deutsche See”, the Alfred Wegener Institute expands. In addition, the new AWI Technical Centre is currently being built and attractive expansion areas are available in this area. Just like around the yachting port “Handelshafen”, the demand for attractive residential construction is further increasing.
With the redesign of the Kaistraße concrete measures are provided, which allow a waterway routing in the Werftquartier. From 2021, the construction of new police station Geestemünde on Nansen Street will be planned on properties acquired by the city, and a further attractive entrance area from the district of Geestemünde to the Werftquartier will be built.
Historically significant buildings will be included in the planning and preserved or given new use. In the touristic area of the “Schaufenster Fischereihafen”, one example is the old building of the former Bremerhaven ice factory, in which a new use has already been realised through a private investor.
In autumn 2020, an urban design competition was decided. The winning design is by Cobe from Copenhagen with SHP (transport) and Transsolar (energy and sustainability). The framework plan from the competition will be coordinated and detailed by the end of 2021. Concrete planning can then take place on this basis from 2022.
- Total Size: 110 ha
|Main road B6:||0,7 km|
|City Center:||2,5 km|
|Central Station:||2 km|
- Aug 2018 – The planning group "Werftquartier" is appointed and starts its work.
- The State of Bremen and the City of Bremerhaven are declaring planning resources for the stocktaking, future workshops, urban development planning and urban planning competition.
- 2018/2019 Stocktaking (Building structure and condition, historical buildings, quayside conditions, supply and disposal infrastructure etc.)
- 2019: 1st future workshop with citizens and interested parties
- 2020 Urban development framework planning for the entire area based on an urban development competition is available, further information and participation of the public
- 2021 Detailing and coordination of the framework planning
- 2021/2022 Further planning is initiated